The word "doula" comes from the ancient Greek meaning "a woman who serves" and is now used to refer to a trained and experienced professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the mother before, during and just after birth; or who provides emotional and practical support during the postpartum period.
Birth doulas offer continuous physical, emotional and educational support for mom and her partner throughout the labor and birth process in addition to prenatal and postpartum care. Women who have continual support from another woman have fewer requests for medications, half the number of cesarean births, higher breastfeeding rates and an overall higher satisfaction for the entire birth experience. As doulas we can help you to identify what is most important to you and your family. We do not take the place of your partner but enhance their ability to be even more present than without the extra hands and steady support.
Changes can be made to meet personal preferences. The most important thing to me is for you to have the birth you desire.
Birth Doula Services:
- One/two prenatal visits in your home
- Unlimited phone and/or email support during your pregnancy and early labor
- Continuous support throughout your labor and birth
- I will use my knowledge and experience to provide you with physical comfort and emotional support
- Help with initial breastfeeding
- After your birth I will stay until you are comfortable and your family seems ready for quiet time together.
- A Postpartum home visit is available to you within a few weeks of the birth
Although it varies from one insurance provider to another, some insurance providers cover doula support. If you would like more information I encourage you to contact your provider to review your coverage details.
Gift Certificates are available,
please call or email for details.
Benefits of a Birth Doula
- Studies have shown that when doulas attend birth, labors are shorter with fewer complications, babies are healthier and they breastfeed more easily.
- Recognizes birth as a key experience the mother will remember all her life
- Understands the physiology of birth and the emotional needs of a woman in labor
- Assists the woman in preparing for and carrying out her plans for birth
- Stays with the woman throughout the labor
- Provides emotional support, physical comfort measures and an objective viewpoint, as well as helping the woman get the information she needs to make informed decisions
- Facilitates communication between the laboring woman, her partner and her clinical care providers (OB, Midwife, Nurses)
- Perceives her role as nurturing and protecting the woman's memory of the birth experience and keeping it positive
Allows the woman's partner to participate at his/her comfort level
The Evidence for Doulas
If your vision for your birth experience is one that encompasses only you and your partner ~ or, if you have taken a childbirth class but feel that you need additional direction ~ then this service may be for you.
- 1 to 2 Prenatal Visits in Your Home: You will derive the benefits of doula support and knowledge, where we will cover various comfort measures and create personalized guidance for supporting the laboring mom.
- Phone and/or E-Mail support during your prenatal period for any questions or concerns.